Apr 28, 2013

Munshi Ram Bhagat

Life of Sant Satguru Bhagat Munshi Ram ji Maharaj
(December 19, 1906 - June 29, 1998)
Childhood name of Bhagat Munshi Ram was Mr. Munshi Ram and later it became Mr. Munshi Ram Bhagat for caste identification.
Param Dayal Faqir Chand Ji Maharaj, in his last and final will, mentioned his name as ‘Bhagat Munshi Ram ji’ while nominating him to work in the capacity of Satguru in his place.
Bhagat Munshi Ram was born on December 19, 1906 in Sunderpur village, district Sialkot (now in Pakistan) as mentioned by him in his books. His childhood hobbies included wrestling, Kabaddi, swimming, racing, boating and playing on Jodi (a musical instrument with two flutes joined together). His father was known as Mr. Menhga Ram the contractor. He was an influential person of the village. He had a clout in the village, but he had a very harsh temperament. It certainly affected personality and life of Munshi Ram and drove him to spirituality and devotion. Entire life he remained less talkative.
His mother's name was Mrs. Karam Devi. She was very dynamic and cool nature women. The name of Munshi Ram’s wife was also Karam Devi and was changed to Mrs. Lajwanti after marriage. She was also very dynamic and devoted to family. During her stay in Manavta Mandir, Hoshiarpur, she served the temple and also participated in the day to day activities of Bhagat Ji while she was away from rest of the family. Bhagat Ji's book ‘Nar-Naari’ (Man and Women) contains more information on her.
After passing the tenth class he was sent to Jammu for doing Diploma in Engineering. He secured very good marks and held distinction in the institution. He was appointed as Overseer in Public Works Department (Buildings and Roads). He got many difficult postings during service. He worked in the tribal areas of Baluchistan where the water was a problem and the British and the hat were not tolerated. There he worked with a hat. He also worked at Jhelum, Thatta Basaal, Head Marala, Attak, Pindi Keb, Upper Chenab etc.
Bhagat had five children. 1. Maya Dhari, 2. Kanta Devi, 3. Satya Devi, 4. Santosh and 5. Bharat Bhushan.
Before partition of India in 1947 Babu, Gopichand (Bhagat's brother-in-law) decided to contest the elections. To manage the money he sold a two kanal piece of land at Sialkot to Bhagat Ji. Bhagat Ji installed handlooms and started the work. When socio-political circumstances began to lead to riots, Bhagat sold the land to a Muslim friend. The same friend arranged Bhagat’s family a safe passage to India before outbreak of riots and carnage. Due to posting at another place Bhagat got separated from the family. He had a tattoo of '' (symbol of Hinduism) on his hand which was effect of Aryasamaj movement. In order to hide it, he used blood stained cloth of a deceased person and saved his life.
After coming to India he worked at Muktsar, Ferozepur, Amritsar, Mandi (HP), Rampura Phool, Rohtak, Tohana, Sirsa and Bhiwani and retired as Sub Divisional Engineer in the year 1967. Though, with the help of Government loan, he had constructed a house in Chandigarh in the year 1960-61, on retirement he directly went to the mission of Param Dayal Ji Maharaj, Manavta Mandir, Hoshiarpur where he had his own one-room-kitchen set. He lived there till 1981 and later left it when temple atmosphere changed due to demise of Faqir Chand Ji.  He had come into contact with Param Dayal Ji in the year 1963.
Here it is noteworthy that, socially, 'Manavta Mandir’ was considered a center of Brahmins. However under the impact of Faqir Chand Ji, people from other castes also lived there.
In course of time, Param Dayal Ji appointed him as Secretary of Faqir Library Charitable Trust. He remained Secretary of the temple for 9 years and played an important role as engineer during initial construction of the Temple. He also looked after publication work of Ashram’s magazine- ‘Manav Mandir’. He played a leading role in publication of Param Dayal Ji’s discourses and books. While working in the capacity of Sant Satguru Waqt (giver of true knowledge of the time), Param Dayal Ji opened many secrets of Santmat. He made several changes in the teaching and preaching of Santmat which are recorded in his literature. Bhagat Munshi Ram has saved and preserved most of them in his books. He remained in the company of Param Dayal Ji for 18 years. He was a researcher of Santmat. He worked tirelessly for the mission of Humanity started by Data Dayal Ji and Param Dayal Ji Maharaj. Param Dayal Ji Maharaj made the first successful use of his ultimate research on Bhagat Munshi Ram, a truly eligible person for his teachings. On March 20, 1977, Faqir gave him the work of Guru in plenum by giving him turban, five rupees and putting holy mark on his forehead. It was published in ‘Manav Mandir’, the monthly magazine of the temple. Bhagat Munshi Ram, who had attained a Jeevan Mukt and selfless state, however, has mentioned that in fact Param Dayal himself had been working through him. He has expressed it in these words:-
"From March 1977 until he left his bodily frame, I obeyed his orders. There are three things in his order’s - to give Namdan, to instruct the people and give comfort to souls. It is duty of a master in Santmat. Then I used to ask my soul. Can you do this job? The answer from the conscience used to be in negative. Then who used to do that? He did himself.
If I had the strength to be a guru, I would have made millions of disciples and brought charm to Manavta Mandir. But I did not give Namdan to a single person. Similarly, the work to instruct and give comfort to souls was also his work. I did nothing, just obeyed his orders. This gave support to souls in his absence. He had appointed me for that purpose." Sant Satguru Waqt Ka Vasiyatnama (The Testament of Santsatguru of the time)
Through his last will Param Dayal Ji Maharaj, at an appropriate time, appointed Bhagat Munshi Ram to work as Satguru in his place. After Param Dayal Ji relinquished his body, the circumstances of Manavta Mandir underwent changes as have been explained by Bhagat Ji in the book ‘Sant Satguru Waqt Ka Vasiyatnama’ and other books. There is no need to write more. He then moved to Chandigarh and spent most of his time silently. But the sense of gratitude and the education imparted by Param Dayal Ji and the work of 'Satguru' assigned to him could not observe silence. During his meetings with old followers - the interaction invariably included references regarding life and work of Param Dayal Ji Maharaj. It is reflected in his books.
Bhagat Munshi Ram Ji not only lived the education of Faqir Chand Ji Maharaj  but also preserved it. It would not be exaggeration if I say that Bhagat Munshi Ram was the first embodiment of changed teachings of Param Dayal Ji. In many discourses Param Dayal Ji had said that living of Munshi Ram was thousand times better than that of his own. Later, Param Dayal Faqir Chand blessed Bhagat Ji with the work of Satguru to be done in his place. As a leading faculty of Param Dayal Ji’s teachings, the first live action of Sant Satguru Bhagat Munshi Ram was that he himself became follower of Humanism as propounded by Param Dayal Faqir and carried forward the mission of Param Dayal. His positive expressions give peace and energy to heart. These are shared qualities in both Param Dayal Ji and Bhagat Ji Maharaj. Param Dayal Ji did sometimes use harsh language of sages but nowhere Bhagat Munshi Ram has used harsh words. His speech was soft but notes were very high. Whereas, on one hand it was his personal and ethnic quality, on the other hand it was complementary function of the Param Dayal Ji.
Whatever I remember about him:
During our stay in Amritsar, when I was 6-7 years old, I heard Bhagat Ji singing Tulsidas's Vinay Patrika. He used to sing 'I have heard that Hari (God) is the savior’ with overwhelmed voice. It was in the year 1956-57.
It was around 1960's. We lived in Rampura Phool near railway station in a big Kothi which was office-cum-residence. It was said that the Kothi was previously a guest house of King of Sangrur State. New roads were being built around Rampura Phool and land of farmers was being acquired by the government. One morning a mob of hundreds of people with sharp edged weapons entered the premises. In those days I was a child but their stance was not difficult to understand. All employees of the office except one Lower Division Clerk Mr. Des Raj fled from there. He came and told Munshi Ram Ji that Government had acquired their land to build roads. That day I saw Munshi Ram Ji’s tenacity. He firmly stood in front of the crowd and with a gesture of his hand asked them to sit down on the ground. He asked them the reason for coming. Conversation took place and they went back satisfied. The escaped office staff returned.
I was only 12 years old when I first saw photos of Faqir Chand Ji. He was wearing a gown and in the background there was a wall without plastering. We lived in Tohana, Haryana those days. Father, Munshi Ram was working as Sub-Divisional Engineer. Many times he was not seen in Tohana on holidays like Sunday. I missed him a lot. He used to do lot of inner practices. Many times I saw him in Kukkut Asana practice (a posture for Samadhi) after midnight. I was reading in sixth class at that time. One night he awakened my mother and told her that a sound had been coming from within and not stopping despite efforts. I was also awake by that time. Next day mother distributed sweets in the neighborhood.
Bhagat Ji was a man of very strong will. In Tohana, we lived behind the railway quarters in an old house. We slept in a small room. There was a large room too. Bhagat Ji had his bed with his wall. There was a fear of the roof giving way during rainy season. One night it collapsed too. I and my mother were worried. Bhagat Ji fearlessly sat there in meditation. I remember another incident. Once in Rampua Phool Bhagat ji was going on the road built along a canal. He was accompanied by his Superintending Engineer, Executive Engineer and an Overseer. Suddenly Jeep went out of control and fell into the canal. Bhagat ji and Superintending Engineer sat calmly. The remaining two officers cried out in fear.
While in Rohtak in 1960, Bhagat Ji suffered from T.B. At that time it was considered a deadly disease. For the treatment he had to go to Jalandhar. Some months after treatment he was healthy. Then in 1961-62 he had problem of diabetes. He retired in the year 1967 and went to Hoshiarpur to be with Faqir Chand Ji. Faqir asked him whether he had any health problems. Bhagat Ji told about diabetes. Faqir asked a doctor the reason of the disease. The doctor described. Faqir said that it was not a problem. I watched him take medicines for diabetes in Hoshiarpur. After a few years he medication was stopped. When he came to Chandigarh in 1981-82 he took no medicines for diabetes. Rather he used to take lot of sugar. He once said, "It has been written that taking sugar is yoga. I myself used to give him 8 to 10 spoons of sugar per day with breakfast, milk, tea, etc. It continued till 1996. By then his body had begun to weaken. After my transfer from Chandigarh I did not have any specific information about his daily routine. In 1998 I was told that he again had diabetes. At that time he had attained a particular state. He did not do any inner practices during that time. (I felt like that).
I wish to mention some of the words naturally uttered by Bhagat Ji.
In 1996 I was transferred to Thiruvananthapuram. I was very worried about his health. He asked me to join there saying, “You will not have to stay there for long.” I believed what he said. In a year of my stay there I was promoted and circumstances brought me to Mumbai.
After coming to Mumbai in 1997 I came to Chandigarh with a long vacation. Once he had advised me to visit bank’s medical officer now and then. It is true that I used only homeopathic medicines when needed. Medical officer of the bank gave only allopathic medicine. Anyway, I rarely visited medical officer of the bank. It was September 1997. We were celebrating Hindi Day at the office. Due to daily journey I had developed lower back pain. The department had shifted my seat from Sriniketan building to ground floor of Poonam Chambers. Due to various locations of the programs in the morning, I visited many buildings. In the afternoon I was supposed to sit in Poonam Chambers. Due to pain I did not shift. Around lunch time I thought it better to go to the bank’s doctor. He sat in the Sriniketan. I went there. Doctor was having his lunch. I waited outside the cabin. I do not remember how much time lapsed. Suddenly I saw few people were coming to clinic. They had dust on their heads and clothes. Some were bleeding. I asked them as to what happened. One said it had been a bomb blast. The other said it had been earth quake. I forgot my pain and went out to see the situation. There was chaos everywhere. People were in a shock. The northern part of Poonam Chambers had collapsed. Debris fell from the top to a spot where my seat had been arranged. I stood quietly. Bhagat Ji’s words were quietly repeating in my mind. At night I talked to my wife on telephone. She told the episode to Bhagat Ji. He asked in a surprised manner, "Is Bhushan dead?" My wife explained to him again.
In 1983 I was working with Central Excise and Customs Department. Circumstances were hostile and I started applying for jobs in the banks. I was selected in few banks.  I asked Bhagat Ji for guidance. The bank job meant posting at a far off place. Bhagat ji advised in a small sentence, "Dry bread at home is more welcome than sweetmeat elsewhere.” Against his advice I decided to join the bank. I joined at Udupi town in Karnataka. The experience was very painful. Because of language, culture, local difficulties etc. I went through a sort of mental trauma.  I wrote letters to him almost every day. I used to tell him about the state of mind. My condition was getting worse. I suffered from Insomnia. One day I felt a ballooning bubble in my heart. One night I woke up of a sudden metallic sound in the brain- 'Resign and come back'. The next day I usually went to my office. Bhagat Ji's telegram was lying on my desk - 'Resign and come back'. I decided to quit. On my return to home Bhagat Ji remarked, "It is good that you have came back." Brother also said, “Father had been making arrangements for your return. He had prepared himself to sell off property.” Then it started phase of my unemployment. He always kept me busy in writing his articles and letters etc. Meanwhile, my heart condition was not well. Pulse was heavy and increased from just getting up from bed. It was then I got appointment letter from NABARD. I got posting in Hyderabad.  Anand Rao Maharaj Ji lived there. He was a good friend of Bhagat Ji. It must have been May, 1984. I was asked to join in the month of July 1984. I booked the tickets. Just one day before catching the train I said, "Father, my heart's condition is such that I may not be able to travel”. He said with an encouraging voice, "Kabir has said that it is better to die at a far off place. Relatives won’t allow die properly”. His sentence gave me immense power. I decided to go to Hyderabad. There I came in contact with a homoeopath. He took care of my heart and it is still functioning fine. I wonder as to who gave this power. It was the work of Bhagat Ji’s Satguru mode or format. During my childhood in Tohana I assumed him as my Guru. He was given the task of Satguru by Faqir. Since then I saw him lesser as a father and saw more as Satguru.
I had an experience in Thiruvananthapuram. It was in 1996. Bank had made my living arrangement in Hotel South Park. One evening I was lying in the hotel. Suddenly I felt as if father (who by then had lost eye sight due to glaucoma) in Chandigarh came out of the house. He went across the road and sat on a railing. He was not able to return. He came back with help of someone. Later, the incident was confirmed by my wife. During my stay in Mumbai, one summer, I was, as if, getting the message that Bhagat Ji was thirsty and wanted water. I phone called my eldest daughter Agma and asked her to give water to him. I am impressed by the fact that in my absence, in such a situation, my family and family of elder brother served him.
Mother's health had begun to worsen in the early 1990s when I was transferred from Hyderabad to Chandigarh. She was undergoing treatment but the effect of age had increased. Initially she was treated for TB. Many complications appeared thereafter. She was in trouble. Cough and moaning used to continue day and night. Bhagat Ji and his family looked after her. My sisters also assisted. A time came when mother was unable to sleep. Bhagat Ji had had restless months.
One day Bhagat ji asked his elder son to shift the bed of our mother to the next room (he had indicated a particular place). Mother was hard of hearing. But she understood everything. In a very emotional tone she started saying, "I used to wish that when he would be doing inner devotion (Bhakti) then I would serve him. Now he is unable to take rest because of my cough. My bed is now being shifted." The atmosphere at home became very emotional. Bhagat Ji got up. Went up to the bed side of mother, held arms of the bed and leaned upon her. Then he spoke in a loud encouraging voice, "My intention was not to send you out of the room. You can stay here if you wish. But do not go haywire. You're ahead of us." Mother's moaning stopped then. She readily went to the other room.
She had to be brought down from the bed more than once (in Hindu tradition a dying person is laid on the ground when last symptoms appear). Bhagat Ji used to get information about whatever she uttered during those moments. Once mother came back from a death like state. She said, “They say it is not my turn yet." Bhagat Ji heard it with all curiosity. Then mother was put to bed again. She died with three last hick ups a few days later right there where Bhagat Ji had directed to place her bed. Here I specifically want to mention one thing. Mother was periodically administered a homeopathic medicine Arsenic Alb.30 solution in water. It was advised by Dr. H. R. Ghai. After medication her moaning had stopped.
Mother's body was moved to the cremation ground. On that day many dead bodies were brought there. We had to wait. Bhagat ji then smilingly said in my ears, “A queue, here too?”
After three-four days of mother's death, Bhagat ji once said, “Shall I tell you something peculiar? Your mother is here today. Did you feel?” I refused. Here I only can say about myself. I had a reason to refuse. I had a notion that ideas could return after death, not the person. Bhagat Ji's sensitivity was staggering experience. I would like to quote an example relating to that. Bhagat Ji's body had become very weak. For a long period I had mental fatigue. I served him. But due to fatigue I was in a very bad state of mind. There was lot of irritability. Relaxation and a content changes were necessary. Whenever I would give him food only then very dirty thoughts occurred to my mind. One day Bhagat Ji said, "Do not feed me that dirty stuff." I cursed myself for the thoughts. However the same recurred in the mind again. Bhagat Ji again said, “Yes, yes, the same thing. Do not feed this dirty thing.” I had nothing but to feel ashamed of myself.
He had clear knowledge of ideas or activity in the brain of others. He must have been sensitive about mother’s thoughts existing in the universe. He must have expressed the same experience in words. I am fully satisfied that he believed in the rebirth of thoughts. He believed that rebirth was merely a concept or thought. (Reference: A letter written to Mr. Kamal has been given as attachment).
I remember another incident. I was posted at a far off place. Bhagat Ji's health was a concern for me. Once I went to him for morning reverence with a flower. At that time I had a wish that he left his body in my presence in. I did not utter a word. He said, “Do not worry. Whatever will happen it will be in front of you.” His words were real support for me. I came from Mumbai many times on long vacations. Every time he looked weaker.
In June 1998 I came to Chandigarh on a long vacation. Then he was unable to take food. He took only liquid food. He disliked salty stuff. Family members avoided giving him sweet food as he had again developed diabetes. He would spit if the eatables were not sweet. He was extremely weak. On arrival of relations he usually would not open eyes. However on arrival of Satsangis (followers) he would wide open his eyes even while they were at a distance from the house. I observed it many times. His eyeballs looked separated from his eyes. He expressed many times the feeling of bones having separated from him. While in death bed he developed bed sour. But application of Arnica (Mother Tincture), a homeopathic medicine prescribed by Dr. Hans Raj Ghai, for few days cured the wound.
His health worsened. One day while sitting beside him I silently wished, “Now you may leave the body. Today I'm sitting close.” I told it as a prayer within. Perhaps he listened it too. I could see glimpse of satisfaction on his face. He was in full conscious state. All signs of last moments were visible on the third day. Before his last moments I gave him sugar mixed water. He relished it and took it nicely. After drinking few spoons he raised his hand and gently placed it on my hands thus refusing to take more.
I kept checking his pulse at intervals. Once he had said, “Horde of relatives would not let die peacefully. They start crying and pull back the dying person.” Otherwise also relations stop coming in such conditions. They wait until the fellow dies. What else they can do? I thought it better not to inform anyone. His pulse stopped. Then I told it to elder brother. He came did the rest. Bhagat ji gradually left the body in conscious state. It should be the right place to say one more thing. Whenever I had been in Chandigarh, I slept in the adjacent room where Bhagat Ji slept. I never ever heard him moaning or painful voice. We could never know if he had any sufferings of old age. Of course, loss of memory (senile dementia) was obviously there. By narrating all this I am not establishing that he had been doing miracles around. Whatever happened was natural. I can say that his degree of sensitivity towards human existence was marvelous, there is no doubt about it. You can call it humanity in the best form.
Bhagat Ji has not recorded systematic narrative of his life anywhere.

संत सत्गुरु भगत मुंशीराम जी महाराज का जीवन-वृत्त
(19 दिसंबर 1906 - 29 जून 1998)

भगत मुंशीराम जी का बचपन का नाम श्री मुंशीराम था जो बाद में जातिगत संस्कार से श्री मुंशीराम भगत हुआ.

परम दयाल फकीरचंद जी महाराज ने अपने वसीयतनामे में अंतिम रूप से 'भगत मुंशीराम जीके तौर पर उनका उल्लेख किया जब उन्हें अपनी जगह सत्गुरु का कार्य करने के लिए नामांकित किया.

भगत मुंशीराम जी का जन्म 19 दिसंबर 1906 को गाँव सुंदरपुरजिला स्यालकोट (अब पाकिस्तान) में हुआ. उनका जीवन लगभग 99 वर्ष का रहा. बचपन के शौक में कुश्तीकबड्डीतैराकी,  नौका चलाना और जोड़ी (दो बांसुरियों को मिला कर बनाया गया वाद्य) बजाना शामिल रहा. इनके पिता श्री महँगा राम ठेकेदार के नाम से मशहूर थे. गाँव के प्रभावशाली व्यक्तियों में शुमार होते थे. दबदबा रखते थे परंतु बहुत  कठोर स्वभाव के थे. निश्चित रूप से इसका प्रभाव मुंशीराम जी के व्यक्तित्व पर पड़ा और ये भक्ति तथा अध्यात्म की ओर उन्मुख हुए. बचपन से ही ये मितभाषी थे. यह गुण वृद्धावस्था तक रहा.

माता का नाम श्रीमती कर्मदेवी था जो बहुत कर्मठ और शांत स्वभाव की महिला थीं. मुंशीराम जी की धर्म पत्नी का नाम भी श्रीमती कर्मदेवी था जिसे विवाह के बाद बदल कर लाजवंती कर दिया गया. ये भी बहुत कर्मठ थीं और सेवा भाव रखतीं थीं. मानवता मंदिरहोशियारपुर के आश्रम में रहते हुए इन्होंने भी मंदिर की बहुत सेवा की और परिवार से दूर रह कर भगत जी के कर्मक्षेत्र में पूरा हाथ बँटाया. इनके बारे में और अधिक जानकारी भगत जी की पुस्तक नर-नारी में दी गई है जो अभी प्रकाशनाधीन है. दसवीं पास करने के बाद वे इंजीनियरिंग का डिप्लोमा करने जम्मू भेज दिए गए. बहुत अच्छे अंकों के साथ वे अपनी संस्था में प्रथम रहे. इतनी योग्यता के साथ उन दिनों नौकरी पाने में कठिनाई नहीं थी. वे पी.डब्ल्यू.डी.बी.एंड आर. में ओवरसीयर के पद पर नियुक्त हुए. इस नौकरी के दौरान इनकी कई कठिन नियुक्तियाँ हुईं. बलूचिस्तान के उस कबायली इलाके में भी इन्होंने कार्य किया जहाँ पानी की दिक्कत थी तथा अंग्रेज़ और हैट वाले व्यक्ति को सहन नहीं किया जाता था. वहाँ इन्होंने हैट के साथ नौकरी की. इसके अतिरिक्त झेलमथट्टा बसालहेड मरालाअटकपिंडी केबअपर चिनाब में भी कार्य किया.

भगत जी की पाँच संतानें हुईं. 1. मायाधारी, 2. कांतादेवी, 3. सत्यादेवी, 4. संतोष और 5. भारत भूषण सन् 1947 में भारत विभाजन से पहले एक बार बाबू गोपीचंद जी (भगत जी के जीजा) ने चुनाव लड़ने का मन बनाया. तब पैसे का प्रबंध करने के लिए उन्होंने भगत जी को स्यालकोट स्थित अपना दो कनाल का प्लॉट बेचा. भगत जी ने वहाँ हथकरघा लगा कर कार्य शुरू कराया. जब दंगों के हालात बनने लगे तब भगत जी ने वह जायदाद एक मुसलमान मित्र को बेच दी. जब दंगे और मार-काट शुरू हुई तो इनके परिवार को उसी व्यक्ति ने मुसलमानों की सुरक्षा में सीमा पार कराई. ये स्वयं परिवार से अलग थे. हाथ पर ' का टैटू था जो आर्यसमाजी आंदोलन का प्रभाव था. इसे छुपाने हेतु एक मृतक के ख़ून से सने कपड़े को इस 'पर बाँधकर प्राण रक्षा का उपाय किया.

भारत आकर इन्होंने मुक्तसर,  फिरोज़पुर अमृतसर,  मंडी (हिमाचल प्रदेश),   रामपुराफूल रोहतकटोहानासिरसा और अंततः भिवानी में सब-डिविज़नल इंजीनियर के तौर पर कार्य किया और वहीं से 1967 में सेवा निवृत्त हुए. वर्ष 1960-61 में चंडीगढ़ में सरकारी ऋण की सहायता मकान बनवाया था लेकिन रिटायर हो कर वे सीधे परम दयाल जी महाराज के मिशन में होशियारपुर चले गए. वहाँ वे 'मानवता मंदिरमें कमरा-रसोई बनवा कर वर्ष 1981 तक रहे. वे परम दयाल जी के संपर्क में सन् 1963 में आ चुके थे.

यहाँ यह उल्लेखनीय है कि सामाजिक दृष्टि से 'मानवता मंदिरको ब्राह्मणों का केंद्र माना जाता था तथापि परम दयाल फकीर चंद जी के व्यक्तित्व के प्रभाव में अन्य जातियों के लोग भी वहाँ रहे.

समय आने पर परम दयाल जी ने भगत जी को फकीर लाइब्रेरी चेरीटेबल ट्रस्ट का सेक्रेटरी नियुक्त कर दिया. वे 9 वर्ष तक वहाँ के सेक्रेटरी रहे और मंदिर के प्रारंभिक निर्माण में इंजीनियर को तौर पर भी उनकी महत्वपूर्ण भूमिका रही. यहाँ की पत्रिका ''मानव मंदिर'' के प्रकाशन का कार्य भी वे देखते थे. परम दयाल जी के सत्संगों और पुस्तकों के प्रकाशनों में इनकी प्रमुख भूमिका रही. परम दयाल जी ने संत सत्गुरु वक़्त की हैसीयत में काम करते हुए संतमत के कई रहस्यों को खोला. संतमत की तालीम में कई परिवर्तन किए जो उनके साहित्य में भरे पड़े हैं.  इनमें से अधिकांश परिवर्तनों को भगत मुंशीराम जी ने अपनी पुस्तक 'परम दयाल जी ने क्या शिक्षा बदलीमें संचित कर दिया है. इन्होंने परम दयाल जी की 18 वर्ष तक संगत की. वे खोजी (रिसर्चर) प्रकृति के थे. मानवता मंदिर में अपने प्रवास के दौरान उन्होंने दाता दयाल जी महाराज और परम दयाल जी महाराज के मिशन में अथक कार्य किया. इसी प्रवास के दौरान परम दयाल जी महाराज की परम दयालुता उन पर रही और अपनी खोज का पहला सफल उपयोग परम दयाल जी ने अपनी शिक्षा के अधिकारी श्री मुंशीराम जी पर किया. उन्होंने श्री मुंशीराम जी को 20 मार्च 1977 में भरी सभा में गुरुवाई का काम पगड़ीपांच रुपए प्रदान करके तिलक लगा कर दिया था. यह 'मानव मंदिरमासिक पत्रिका में भी छपा था. लेकिन जीवनमुक्त और निष्काम अवस्था को प्राप्त हो चुके श्री मुंशीराम जी ने लिखा है कि परम दयाल जी वास्तव में स्वयं ही उनके माध्यम से यह कार्य करते रहे. इसे उन्होंने इन शब्दों के साथ व्यक्त किया है :-

"मार्च 1977 से लेकर जब तक उनका चोला नहीं छूटामैं उनके इस हुक़्म को मानता रहा. इस हुक्म में तीन बातें हैं- नामदान देनालोगों को हिदायत करना और जीवों को सुख पहुंचाना. सन्तमत में यह गुरु का कर्त्तव्य है. तब मैं अपनी आत्मा से प्रश्न किया करता था. क्या यह काम तू कर सकता हैआत्मा से जवाब आता था कि नहीं. फिर वो काम कौन करता थावो आप ही करते थे. अगर मुझ में नामदान देने की शक्ति होती तो मैं लाखों चेले बना लेतामानवता मन्दिर में बहुत रौनक हो जाती. मगर मैंने एक भी आदमी को नाम न दिया. इसी तरह हिदायत करना और जीवों के सुख पहुंचाना भी उन्हीं का काम था. मैंने कुछ नहीं कियाकेवल उनका हुक्म माना. उनकी गैर हाजिरी में जीवों को सहारा मिलता था. इस आशय को लेकर उन्होंने इस काम के लिए मुझे नियुक्त किया."     (संतसत्गुरु वक़्त का वसीयतनामा से)

समय आने पर परम दयाल जी महाराज ने अपनी जगह सत्गुरु का कार्य करने की ड्‌यूटी भगत मुंशीराम जी को अपने वसीयतनामे के ज़रिए दे दी. परम दयाल जी का चोला छूट जाने के बाद मन्दिर में हालात बदले जिसकी व्याख्या भगत मुंशीराम जी ने अपनी पुस्तक 'संत सत्गुरु वक्त का वसीयतनामामें और अन्यत्र भी कर दी है. अधिक लिखने की ज़रूरत नहीं. इसके बाद वे चंडीगढ़ में आ गए और अपना अधिकतर समय मौन रहकर बिताया. लेकिन उनके भीतर भरी हुई परम दयाल जी की शिक्षाउनका एहसान और दिया हुआ 'सत्गुरुका संस्कार चुप रहने वाले नहीं थे. पुराने सत्संगियों और मिलने-जुलने वालों के साथ उनकी बातचीत परम दयाल जी महाराज के जीवन और उनके वचनों के सन्दर्भ में ही होती थी. ऐसा उनके द्वारा लिखी गई पुस्तकों में भी परिलक्षित होता है.

भगत मुंशीराम जी ने परम दयाल फकीर चंद जी महाराज की शिक्षा को न केवल जिया बल्कि उसे सहेजने का कार्य भी किया. अतिश्योक्ति नहीं होगी यदि कहा जाए कि परम दयाल जी द्वारा बदली गई शिक्षा का पहला उदाहरण भगत मुंशीराम जी रहे. परम दयाल जी ने अनेक सत्संगों में फ़रमाया है कि भगत मुंशीराम की रहनी मेरी रहनी से हज़ार दर्जे बेहतर है. कालांतर से परम दयाल फकीर चंद जी ने वसीयत के ज़रिए भगत मुंशीराम जी को अपनी जगह सत्गुरु का कार्य बख़्शा. दयाल फकीर मत के प्रमुख संकाय (faculty) के रूप में संत सत्गुरु भगत मुंशीराम जी का किया गया प्रथम कार्य यह है कि वे स्वयं मानवपंथी बन कर जिए और दाता दयाल एवं परम दयाल जी के मिशन को आगे बढ़ाया. उनकी सकारात्मक वाणी हृदय को आराम भी देती है और ऊर्जा भी देती है. परम दयाल और भगत जी महाराज दोनों के वचनों में यह साझा गुण है. परम दयाल जी कभी फकीराना 'डंडेमारभाषा का प्रयोग करते थे परन्तु भगत जी महाराज ने कहीं भी कठोर शब्दों का प्रयोग नहीं किया. उनकी वाणी मद्धम थी परंतु स्वर बहुत ऊपर से आते थे. जहाँ यह उनका ज़ाती और जातीय गुण था वहीं यह परम दयाल जी का अनुपूरक कार्य था.

भगत जी का चोला छूट जाने के बाद प्रकाशित पुस्तकों पर सम्मान की दृष्टि से उनके नाम के साथ 'संत सत्गुरुशब्द का प्रयोग किया है. ऐसा संत सत्गुरु वक़्त परम दयाल फकीर चंद जी महाराज के अंतिम वसीयतनामे के प्राधिकार से किया गया है. यह परम दयाल जी के प्रसाद की ही परिणति है.
भगत जी की पुस्तकों की पांडुलिपियाँ लिखने का कार्य संत प्रकृति के उनके बड़े बेटे श्री मायाधारी ने वर्षों तक निरन्तर किया है. दो पुस्तकों का प्रकाशन श्री एम.आर भगत जी ने अपने जीवनकाल में कराया था. एक अन्य पुस्तक मानवता मन्दिर होशियारपुर द्वारा छापी गई थी जो परम दयाल जी के समय में ही छपी थी. शेष पांडुलिपियों को श्री मायाधारी जी के परिवार ने वर्षों तक सुरक्षित रखा है.
अमृतसर में प्रवास के दौरान जब मैं 6-7 वर्ष का था तब भगत जी को तुलसीदास की विनय-पत्रिका पढ़ते-गाते मैंने सुना. वे मैं हरि पतित पावन सुने’ नामक पद बहुत भावविभोर को कर गाते थे. यह वर्ष 1956-57 की बात है.

मैं तब केवल 12 वर्ष का था जब मैंने फकीर चंद जी की फोटो पहली बार देखी थी. गाऊन पहना हुआ था और पीछे बिना पलस्तर की दीवार थी. हम उन दिनों टोहाना, हरियाणा में रहते थे. उन दिनों पिता श्री मुंशीराम जी वहाँ सब-डिविज़नल इंजीनियर के तौर पर कार्यरत थे. वे कई बार रविवार जैसी छुट्टियों के दिनों में टोहाना में नज़र नहीं आते थे. खूब अभ्यास करते थे. आधी रात के बाद भी मैंने उन्हें कई बार कुक्कुट आसन में अभ्यास करते देखा. मैं उस समय छठी कक्षा में पढ़ता था. एक रात उन्होंने माता जी को उठाया और कहा कि भीतर से घंटे का शब्द आ रहा है और बंद नहीं हो रहा है. उनकी आवाज़ से मैं भी उठ चुका था. अगले दिन माता जी ने मोहल्ले में प्रसाद बाँटा.

भगत जी बहुत ही दृढ़ इच्छा शक्ति वाले व्यक्ति थे. टोहाना में जिस मकान में हम रहते थे वह पुराना था. हम एक छोटे कमरे में सोते थे. एक बड़ा कमरा भी था जिसकी दीवार के साथ भगत जी की चारपाई सटी हुई थी. बरसात के दिनों में हमें लग रहा था कि बड़े कमरे की छत ढह जाएगी. और एक रात वह गिर भी गई. मैं और माता जी घबराए. भगत जी निर्भय वहीं अभ्यास में बैठे रहे. एक और घटना याद आती है कि एक बार रामपुराफूल में भगत जी के साथ उनके सुपरिंटेंडिंग इंजीनियर, एक्ज़ीक्यूटिव इंजीनियर और ओवरसीयर एक ही जीप में नहर के किनारे बनी सड़क से जा रहे थे. जीप कंट्रोल से बाहर हो गई और नहर में जा गिरी. सुपरिंटेंडिंग इंजीनियर और भगत जी उस हालत में भी शांत बैठे रहे जबकि शेष दोनों अधिकारी भय से चिल्ला उठे.

1960 में जब हम रोहतक में थे तब भगत जी को टी.बी. की शिकायत हुई. उन दिनों इसे घातक बीमारी माना जाता था. इसके इलाज के लिए उन्हें जालंधर जाना पड़ा. कुछ महीने उपचार के बाद वे स्वस्थ हो गए. इसके बाद 1961-62 में उन्हें डायबिटीज़ की शिकायत हुई. जब वे 1967 में रिटायर हो कर फकीर चंद जी के पास होशियारपुर गए तब फकीर ने पूछा था कि आपको कोई स्वास्थ्य की समस्या तो नहीं. भगत जी ने डायबिटीज़ के बारे में बताया. फकीर ने वहाँ मौजूद एक डॉक्टर से पूछा कि यह क्यों होती है. डॉक्टर ने वर्णन कर दिया. फकीर ने कहा कि कोई बात नहीं. होशियारपुर में मैंने उन्हें शूगर की दवाइयाँ खाते देखा. कुछ वर्षों के बाद उन्होंने वे दवाइयाँ छोड़ दीं. जब वे 1981-82 में चंडीगढ़ आए तब वे शूगर की दवाइयाँ नहीं लेते थे. बल्कि ख़ूब चीनी खाते थे. एक बार उन्होंने बताया, लिखा हुआ है कि मीठा खाना योग है. मैं स्वयं दिन में आठ-दस चम्मच चीनी वाला नाश्ता, दूध, चाय, आदि दिया करता था. यह सिलसिला 1996 तक रहा. तब तक उनका शरीर कमज़ोर पड़ना शुरू हो गया था. मेरे चंडीगढ़ से स्थानांतरण के बाद उनके रूटीन की मुझे कोई विशेष जानकारी नहीं. पता लगा कि 1998 में उन्हें एक बार फिर शूगर की तकलीफ़ देखी गई. उन दिनों वे एक अवस्था में ठहर चुके थे. वे तब कोई योग-साधन नहीं करते थे (मुझे ऐसा ही लगा).

भगत जी के मुँह से स्वाभाविक निकले कुछ शब्दों का मैं उल्लेख कर देना चाहता हूँ.

जब 1996 में मेरा तबादला तिरुवनंतपुरम हुआ तो मैं उनकी सेहत को लेकर बहुत चिंतित था. वे ठीक से चल-फिर नहीं सकते थे. तब उन्होंने कहा कि वहाँ चले जाओ. वहाँ अधिक देर नहीं रहना पड़ेगा. उनकी इस बात पर मेरा विश्वास बना रहा कि मुझे यहाँ अधिक समय नहीं रहना होगा. एक वर्ष में वहाँ मेरी पदोन्नति हुई और परिस्थिति मुझे मुंबई ले आई.

मुंबई आने के बाद 1997 में एक बार मैं लंबी छुट्टी लेकर चंडीगढ़ आया. तब उन्होंने मुझे कहा था कि कभी-कभी बैंक के चिकित्सा अधिकारी के पास जाते रहना. सच्ची बात तो यह है कि मैं आवश्यकता पड़ने पर होम्योपैथिक दवा का ही सेवन करता था. बैंक में केवल एलोपैथिक दवा दी जाती थी. वैसे भी मैं बैंक चिकित्सा अधिकारी के यहाँ बहुत कम जाता हूँ. यह सितंबर 1997 था. हम लोग उन दिनों कार्यालय में हिंदी दिवस मना रहे थे. हर रोज़ के सफ़र के कारण मुझे निचली कमर में दर्द निकला हुआ था. विभाग ने मेरी सीट पूनम चैंबर्स में प्रथम तल पर लगवाई थी. प्रातः काल का समय तो कार्यक्रम के कारण एक अन्य बिल्डिंग में निकल गया. अपराह्न में मुझे पूनम चैंबर्स में बैठना था. दर्द के कारण मैंने शिफ्ट नहीं किया. लंच टाइम के आस-पास मुझे लगा कि क्यों न बैंक के डॉक्टर से मिल लिया जाए. वह श्रीनिकेतन बिल्डिंग में बैठता था. मैं वहाँ गया. उस समय डॉक्टर खाना खा रहा था. मैं केबिन के बाहर प्रतीक्षा करने लगा. कितना समय बीता याद नहीं. इतने में देखा ग़र्द से सने कुछ लोग क्लीनिक में आ रहे थे. बहुत बुरी हालत में थे. मैंने पूछा क्या हुआ. एक ने कहा कि बम ब्लास्ट हुआ है. दूसरे ने कहा कि भूचाल आया था. मैं अपना कष्ट भूल गया और हालात देखने बाहर चला गया. वहाँ हड़कंप मचा था. लोग सकते में थे. पूनम चैंबर्स का उत्तरी भाग गिर चुका था. ऊपर से टूट कर गिरे मलबे का केंद्र लगभग वहीं था जहाँ मेरी सीट लगाई गई थी. मैं चुपचाप खड़ा था. भगत जी की कही बात चुपके से मेरे दिमाग़ में दोहरा रही थी. मैंने सारी बात रात अपनी धर्मपत्नी को फोन पर कही. उसने भगत जी को बताई. उन्होंने चकित अंदाज़ में पूछा, “क्या भूषण मर गया?” धर्मपत्नी ने उन्हें फिर से समझाया. 

एक और घटना की याद आती है. समय याद नहीं. तब भी मेरी पोस्टिंग दूर थी. भगत जी के स्वास्थ्य को लेकर मेरी चिंता गहरी थी. एक बार फूल लेकर प्रणाम करने गया तो मन में आशा थी कि वे मेरी उपस्थिति में शरीर छोड़ें. उनके संवेदनशील अंतःकरण का क्या कहूँ. कहने लगे, फ़िक्र नहीं करना. जो होना है आपके सामने होना है. उनके इन शब्दों से मुझे बहुत सहारा रहा. मैं मुंबई से कई बार लंबी छुट्टी लेकर आता रहा. हर बार उनकी हालत पहले से कमज़ोर होती दिखाई देती थी. जून 1998 में भी मैं लंबी छुट्टी पर चंडीगढ़ आया. वे खाना नहीं का सकते थे. केवल तरल चीज़ें ही पी पाते थे. नमकीन वस्तुएँ बिल्कुल नहीं लेते थे. परिवार के लोग उन्हें शूगर की तकलीफ के कारण मीठा नहीं देते थे. जो वस्तु मीठी नहीं होती थी उसे वे थूक देते थे. शरीर अत्यंत कमज़ोर था. संबंधियों के आने पर वे आमतौर पर आँखें नहीं खोलते थे. परंतु सत्संगियों के आसपास आ जाने पर वे अपनी आँखें खोल देते थे. उनकी आँखों के डेले पलकों से अलग हो चुके थे. कभी-कभी कहा करते थे कि मेरी हड्डियाँ मुझ से अलग मालूम पड़ती हैं. लेटे-लेटे बेडसोर (पीठ पर माँस का गलन) शुरू हो गया. परंतु डॉ.हंसराज घई द्वारा बताई गई होम्योपैथिक दवा आर्निका मदर टिंक्चर कुछ दिन लगाने से घाव ठीक हो गया.

उनकी तबीयत गंभीर होती गई. एक दिन मैंने उनके पास बैठ कर चुपचाप उन्हीं को कहा कि अब आप प्राण त्याग सकते हैं. मैं पास ही हूँ. मैंने मन ही मन कहा था परंतु जैसे उन्होंने बात सुन ली और उनके चेहरे पर संतोष झलक आया. वे पूर्णतः चैतन्य अवस्था में थे. उसके तीसरे दिन प्राण त्यागने के सभी लक्षण दृष्टिगोचर होने लगे. संध्या समय था जब मैंने आखिरी बार उनको मीठा पानी पिलाया. वे भली प्रकार पी गए. कुछ चम्मच पीने के बाद उन्होंने धीरे से हाथ उठा कर मेरे हाथ पर रखा और पीने से मना कर दिया. उसके बाद मैं थोड़े-थोड़े अंतराल के बाद उनकी नब्ज़ जाँचता रहा. एक बार उन्होंने कहा था कि रिश्तेदारों का जमघट तरीके से मरने भी नहीं देता. रोना-धोना मचा देते हैं जो पीछे खींचता है. ऐसी हालत देख कर वैसे भी संबंधी आना बंद कर देते हैं. वे भी मरने तक प्रतीक्षा करते हैं. और कुछ हो भी नहीं सकता. मैंने भी किसी को सूचित करना ठीक नहीं समझा. जब उनकी नाड़ी रुक गई तब बड़े भाई को बताया और उन्होंने आकर बाकी के ज़रूरी कार्य किए. भगत जी ने चैतन्य अवस्था में धीरे-धीरे प्राण छोड़े. एक और बात यहीं कह दी जाए तो बेहतर होगा. मैं जब-जब चंडीगढ़ रहा भगत जी के साथ वाले कमरे में ही सोया. मैंने कभी उनके मुँह से हाय निकलते नहीं सुनी. उन्हें बुढ़ापे के कष्ट हुए इसका पता नहीं चला. अलबत्ता स्मृति-लोप (senile dementia) प्रत्यक्ष था.
भगत जी ने अपना जीवन वृत्तांत क्रमबद्ध तरीके से कहीं दर्ज नहीं किया है.

No comments:

Post a Comment